Thursday, December 18, 2008

Egnor is Wrong = Egnor is Wrong, and "Why I Just Might Need to Fire my Doctor."

Dr. Michael Egnor (that's MD lest the title confuse), a neurosurgeon and ID proponent often refers to evolution as nothing more than a tautology. In all honesty, I didn't even know what that meant until looking it up and even then I wasn't so clear. So, here is one interpretation by MarkCC at Good Math, Bad Math. It's an interesting read if you're curious about tautologies in logic. Read right on down to the bottom and be sure to catch the rant at the end about the death of the author's father before reading below the fold here.

I've been struggling with the idea of firing my doctor and the content at the bottom of that article spells out my reasoning quite well. He doesn't accept evolution. I don't have any personal anecdote like the death of a loved one to harden my resolve but I don't really want to wait for that. I'm just not sure that I'm comfortable with a doctor that doesn't understand the implications of evolution in medicine. It could cause real damage, to me, to my wife, and to my future children.

Now, my doctor may not be quite as off the wall as the one in that story. In fact, I suspect he probably subscribes to some weak form of intelligent design (as though there is a strong form). I would bet that he just refuses to give up on his belief in the magic man in the sky and ID allows him to retain the god hypothesis while accepting that evolution is real. He's really a pretty good doctor. I would bet that he is more than ready to explain the evolution of bacteria and antibiotic resistance. Just to be sure though, I think we will have this conversation at my next check up. And if he can't give me reasonable answers, well, he's fired.

No comments: