Thursday, October 9, 2008

Let's Keep Pork on the Table...for now.


I watched the presidential debate the other night. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't very impressed by either side. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm generally biased toward the democrats. I support those that are most aligned with reason and seem to use facts to back up their decisions the most. This by no stretch of the imagination means that I think the democrats always use reason as a basis for decisions, just more often than republicans. More below the fold.

As I said, I really wasn't that impressed by either side. However, I was especially unimpressed with one key point made by John McCain. This involved his favorite soapbox item, pork. Now, I can only assume that numerous campaign strategists looked through the never ending list of pork supported by Barack Obama and narrowed it down to the most ridiculous, unreasonable, bullshit, left-wing, communist, pile of wasted tax payer's money they could find so that John would really knock him out with a zinger. That amazing waste of tax dollars was said to be a 3 million dollar overhead projector. This is not your 3rd grade teacher's overhead projector. No one will write all over this thing with dry erase markers. It's a state of the art Zeiss planetarium projector for the Adler Planetarium. They host over 400,000 students and guests every year. They educate young children about science in America! What a complete waste of money. Check it out here.

Whoa, did you really think you could hide that one Obama? No, no he did not. In fact, it's listed on his website among all of the other budget requests he's made for FY08 here.

After looking at that list, I'm really not sure how opposed to pork I am. I see a lot of very worthwhile projects on that list. Many of them are projects that I'd support in a stand alone bill or on a referendum. If we get rid of pork, how will these projects get funding? Will they be stand alone bills? I don't really see how that's possible. Will the money go to states and then be divied up? I don't have an answer to the "earmark problem" but for now, I'm willing to leave pork on the table.

No comments: