Saturday, August 23, 2008

What's The Rumpus Laura Ingalls?

After two days in the Twin Cities I've had more than my share of traffic, Greek food, and culture. Last night, Gaelic Storm. Tonight, Little House on the Prairie.

Anyone who hasn't seen Gaelic Storm is really missing out. Their music is a really impressive blend of Irish folk, pop, and various instruments from around the world (can you say didgeridoo?). We attended "Music at the Zoo" last night at the Minnesota Zoo and it was amazing. I saw these guys a few years ago in Grand Forks and really liked their music. My wife has been wanting to go ever since she first heard them and last night was our chance. They have improved their show, which was already great, by leaps and bounds. These guys really engage the audience.

Little House on the Prairie was good, maybe even very good. But it was not great. It could definitely have been better than it was. The show was too short. Too many details were glossed over. And everyone was just too damned chipper to be struggling homesteaders in the prairie. I was also annoyed by the meaningless customary standing ovation at the end. I'm probably beating up on the show too much. It really was enjoyable. I just expected more from a show that sold out in the first couple of days received such great reviews. A Midsummer Night's Dream blew it away. Overall, out of 10, I give it a 7. My wife, who's obsession with Little House was the driving force that resulted in our attendance, gives it an 8.

1 comment:

KBowe said...

I agree whole-heartedly with Shane's comments about Gaelic Storm. This was an amazing performance. I loved it! I can't wait until they perform in the area again.
As far as Little House goes, as he mentioned, I gave it an 8 out of 10. It's very difficult to take a nine-year running TV series (and book series) and sum it all up in a roughly two-hour time-frame. I still thought it was great - having that emotional connection to the show makes a difference. I grew up watching the series (and still watch the reruns) and reading the books. To anyone who is a Little House fan, I would still highly recommend it. To those who weren't, humor your wives and girlfriends. It's only two hours of your life.