Monday, May 12, 2008

Sick.

I am truly sickened by this. For a man to murder his own daughter for talking to the wrong person takes one of two things: Insanity or religion. I'd like to believe that the case of Abdel-Qader Ali was an isolated case of insanity. However, the facts that he was arrested but released after only two hours, has not lost his job, and was congratulated by police lead me to suspect otherwise. Maybe it was a crime of passion. Perhaps he'll come to his senses and realize what he's done. Maybe not:

'Death was the least she deserved,' said Abdel-Qader. 'I don't regret it. I had the support of all my friends who are fathers, like me, and know what she did was unacceptable to any Muslim that honours his religion,' he said.

Hmm...What she did was unacceptable, but what he did is applauded. Super.

Sitting on a chair by his front door and surrounded by the gerberas and white daisies he had planted in the family garden, Abel-Qader attempted to justify his actions.

'I don't have a daughter now, and I prefer to say that I never had one. That girl humiliated me in front of my family and friends. Speaking with a foreign solider, she lost what is the most precious thing for any woman. 'People from western countries might be shocked, but our girls are not like their daughters that can sleep with any man they want and sometimes even get pregnant without marrying. Our girls should respect their religion, their family and their bodies.

'I have only two boys from now on. That girl was a mistake in my life. I know God is blessing me for what I did,' he said, his voice swelling with pride. 'My sons are by my side, and they were men enough to help me finish the life of someone who just brought shame to ours.'

I'm so glad his imaginary friend approves.

Yes, people from western countries are shocked. We have this ridiculous idea that women are people, and that talking to someone of a different religion is not a death worthy offense. Perhaps we should accept his actions as part of his "culture." Sorry, I'm not very sensitive to culture I, especially when it's used as an excuse for murdering, raping, mutilating, eviscerating, or generally oppressing people.

"Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people." -ben 'blows goats' stein.

No comments: